Blog for my weaving and horticulture avocations

CLICK WEB VERSION FOR BETTER VIEWING THIS BLOG

I am the proud granddaughter of Hungarian and Slovakian Immigrants.
This blog is where I share some insights about my avocations of Horticulture and Handweaving.


There are more labels at the very bottom of every page to help navigate topics.

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

RAKU SERIES SCARVES

2019 additions (in process) 
I continue to use the Raku threading on my Mighty Wolf Loom. Tying on new colorways and types of weaving yarns.
the main change is the use of hand dyed skeins. 











November 2018 - RAKU SERIES SCARVES
I saw a shawl on facebook weavers that reminded me of a draft I had saved from a long time ago. I actually managed to find it in my files and decided to give it a try. 
It is very slightly different from the pattern I just saw on facebook which is called Raku from an old book called 60 Scarves for 60 Years, and recently reissued by the Baltimore Weavers Guild. 
It is a combination of a lace weave with a plain weave.  

I already had 8/2 Tencel in gray mauve at 21 epi  on the loom for a different pattern that I did not like so I re-threaded for this draft and used it for the first set. These turned out a little loose, so for the next two warps I resleyed at 24 epi and added another pattern repeat. 


Grey Mauve warp with coral weft. 

Grey Mauve warp with eggplant weft
It has found a wonderful home. 



8/2 Tencel warp in Gray mauve,
Coral tencel weft, and Noro Taiyo gradient weft

The coral tencel weft was what I had planned for the draft I originally chose so I went with that and wove for a double cowl.  Then, since it seemed loose, I used a fingering weight Noro gradient yarn for the second one and wove a scarf. 

TENCEL DOUBLE COWL

TENCEL AND NORO SCARF



For the next warp I chose Gray Teal at the 24 epi.  And I wove two scarves with 8/2 tencel in Red Purple and a Navy. Then I used a fingering weight gradient in Schoppel Wolle Zauberball merino /nylon yarn to make a double cowl. 

gray teal warp, red purple tencel weft


gray teal tencel warp, Shoppel Wolle merino weft

gray teal tencelwarp, navy tencel weft

 I have one more warp just coming off the loom, again in gray mauve tencel, with another coral weft and an eggplant weft for two scarves.  Time for fringe twisting.



These will be at Puget Sound Artists' Gift Show  Nov 17th in Edmonds WA.  #pugetsoundartistsgiftshow



2 comments:

  1. I don’t know anything about weaving, but I know beautiful work when I see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a blogger apparently as I just now saw your comment. Thank you so much. These are some of the favorite scarves I've made.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I'd love to hear what you think.