Blog for my weaving and horticulture avocations

CLICK WEB VERSION FOR BETTER VIEWING THIS BLOG

I am the proud granddaughter of Hungarian and Slovakian Immigrants.
This blog is where I share some insights about my avocations of Horticulture and Handweaving.


There are more labels at the very bottom of every page to help navigate topics.

Friday, April 11, 2014

A string NOT too short to be saved

Going through my mom's stuff and found this carefully wound ball of string--strings actually. 
These are strings which once closed up a 10 pound bag of sugar, or a 25 pound bag of flour--(which was in a decorated cloth flour sack--many of which are still in her cedar chest).  
The longer strings likely held feed sacks closed. It took a bit of skill to know which end to loosen so the whole string chain unraveled in one long piece. 
I still like to work at that whenever I get a chance to open up a sack.
I could even suppose this string was saved by my grandmother, or my father. 
They all knew the virtue of not letting anything go to waste. 

So now is the time to pass this lesson on.
When it was time to plant the sugar snap peas my grandson and I started last month, I decided to use this string for the peas to climb. Since it was many smaller pieces of cotton string. I almost felt it wouldn't work, then decided to simply tie them together. They are very old so we are hoping they will not fall apart, but if so,there is more left with which to patch it. 
Patch it. Hmm, that's a thought almost as archaic as saving string. . .







                                






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I'd love to hear what you think.