Blog for my weaving and horticulture avocations

CLICK WEB VERSION FOR BETTER VIEWING THIS BLOG

I am the proud granddaughter of Hungarian and Slovakian Immigrants.
This blog is where I share some insights about my avocations of Horticulture and Handweaving.


There are more labels at the very bottom of every page to help navigate topics.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Autumn Chenille scarves

Last fall I did not have any Autumn colors in my warm thick chenille scarves for my sale in November. The kidney stone surgery had put a dent in my weaving time in October.
So while I still have the plain weave chenille warp on the loom, it seems a good time to build up some inventory ahead of time this year. 
I ordered a cone of rich brown --and several other colors, of course-- from Mitzi in Idaho, and got some greens from Linda in Woodinville who was selling her weaving yarns to focus on knitting. You can see her projects on Ravelry here
And I had  on hand some hand dyed Rayon boucle in Moccasin from Tammy at Yarntopia Treasures in New Mexico.

So it was time to combine some yarns:

rusts and greens
with ribbons and boucles
on the warping board

weaving with olive green weft

     
with  Pompeii weft













I also had added two strands of Sari Silk--which I ended up sorry for doing. One stand behaved well other than being a little thick at times to flow through the heddles and reed without coaxing. The second strand must have twisted from going on the warping board in the opposite direction and it misbehaved so much, I ended up taking it out and replacing it with a strand of chenille.

I used a very slightly darker olive for the third scarf--and what an amazing difference it made- the warp colors were much more intense with the darker olive!
I wore the lighter green one to the garden show last weekend and had some nice compliments on it. It actually looked kind of springy, instead of autumn.
Guaranteed Neck hugs with these: 

              

                     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I'd love to hear what you think.