Blog for my weaving and horticulture avocations

CLICK WEB VERSION FOR BETTER VIEWING THIS BLOG

I am the proud granddaughter of Hungarian and Slovakian Immigrants.
This blog is where I share some insights about my avocations of Horticulture and Handweaving.


There are more labels at the very bottom of every page to help navigate topics.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

WHAT FIBER ARTS MEAN TO ME

My exploration into fiber arts about 15 years ago has led me from traditional folk art knitting and crocheting towards the discovery of fiber metamorphosis via felting and handweaving.


With a focus now on color and texture I work on a traditional hand powered floor weaving loom producing items that display my fondness for the kinesthetic while still heeding my analytic nature. Visual and tactile qualities of fiber inspire and embolden me to keep analyzing the complexities of these old weaving looms.

The transformation of simple fibers into changed forms through the process of fulling and felting of my hats and through weaving of my scarves continues to fascinate me. While I am working on one project I am watching and feeling the colors and textures blend and contrast inspiring yet the creation of the next project.  


Inspiration comes from the gardens, forests, birds and shores of the Pacific Northwest along with memories of the high deserts of the southwest. Each accessory piece I create is as unique as the person who uses or wears it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I'd love to hear what you think.