Blog for my weaving and horticulture avocations

CLICK WEB VERSION FOR BETTER VIEWING THIS BLOG

I am the proud granddaughter of Hungarian and Slovakian Immigrants.
This blog is where I share some insights about my avocations of Horticulture and Handweaving.


There are more labels at the very bottom of every page to help navigate topics.

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas cookies

Things are finally settling down so I can get ready for Christmas.
So I made up some cookie dough to take to the Adult Family Home where my 93 year old mother is being cared for. We used to have her come here to our home, but it is becomming very difficult for the caregivers when we take her back. The Alzheimer's is getting worse and she can't remember who they are and why she is there. My grandmother's recipe for Kiffli is a hungarian pastry cookie we always made for Christmas, Easter, weddings, and any special get together with the family. My mother used to bake for days and sold the cookies to several families in North Jackson, Ohio for the holidays.
It is very interesting to watch mom now. She amazed the caregivers. When I set up the cookie-making equipment she said she didn't know what to do. But when I just started her hands patting out the dough balls into the powdered sugar, her muscle memory kicked right in and she looked like she was 50 years younger doing everything the way she always did. It was so nice to see.
My grandson went with me to help great grandma with the cookies.
We are using Apricot filling for this pan.
We also use ground walnut filling, Lekvar--which is a spicy prune butter, or  a cooked poppyseed filling. 

Patting out the dough.
The care givers had talked her into letting them paint her fingernails for Christmas!

Mom with Aurica, the RN who owns the Adult Family Home:  Blue Hope AFH.
They are an amazing Romanian family who care for 6 residents.
They have a 5 year old and an 8 month old who entertain the residents. .
Here is a link to their web site: Blue Hope AFH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I'd love to hear what you think.